Monday, May 12, 2008

Adoption Day +2 part 2


The night of the 11th was rainy, with winds kicking up. Lots of night noises. I put Sierra's bed in the room I was staying in. Turn off the light and crawl into bed, she tries to crawl into bed with me. Picture me laying in a single bed and a large dog trying to crawl up and cuddle. Finally convinced her that she should sleep on her nice fluffy 42" bed. Closed the door part way because of a nightlight in the hall. Eventually I fall asleep. Every time she moved, I woke up to check on her. Every time I moved, she woke up to check on me.


At one point she was having a dream that made her whine. At another I thought she was snoring deep and low. Then I realized she was growling. She was sitting up and looking out my door, down the hall (there's a night light in the centre of it). So I got up and opened the door more, she very stealthily walked out and straight down the hall to my parents room. Then immediately ran to the room my niece and nephew were staying in. All ok! She comes back.


I get back into bed, she comes up to the bed and cuddles her face into my neck. Then lays down and falls asleep. A few hours (?) later she wakes me up wimpering. This is the 1am pee break.


Downstairs we go as quietly as possible. Leash up, coat up, and out into the pouring rain. Thank goodness she went almost right away. Back inside, leash and coat off, up the stairs and into bed. We finally shut the night light off, and when we did, she settled right down and went to sleep.


After awhile though, she felt the need to go and sleep outside my parents' bedroom. OK, good. she's protecting them. Back and forth between my room and theirs until she finally gave up and slept in the middle of the hall. She could see me, my parents, the kids room and anyone that would try to get up the stairs.


Somewhere between 2 & 4am Sierra was growling and looking at the window. We were on the 2nd floor, so I get up and look out the window...paper delivery.


Sometime just after sunrise she wakes me up again to go out to pee. Down the stairs quietly, coat and leash on. Out the front door. We end up walking around the block...in the rain and wind. Back inside, coat and leashes off I lay down on the floor on my side. She lays down with her back against my stomach, her head on my arm. It was so cute. I've never known such a huggy dog. After a bit we went back upstairs and we both slept soundly for an hour or so.


All in all, I think I slept a total of 3.5 hours, and not all at once. Sierra had even less sleep.


I hope the rest of her nights at Mom & Dad's isn't like this one. My poor baby needs her sleep.


It's tough being away from her (oh yeah, my leaving on Sunday is yet another story), I phoned Sunday night and spoke to her on the phone (yes the conversation was one sided). Today I called a total of 3 times. My parents are going to start thinking I'm crazy. Too bad, after all, any dog lover would do the same thing, wouldn't they?

No comments: